Friday, September 5, 2008

When I walked out of the terminal gate the large bay windows were filled with musty grey clouds. "I have arrived to the U.K.," I thought to myself.  Clouds usually have an antagonizing effect on my feelings.  But these clouds finally helped me realize my plan to study in England was not just a conversation starter but reality. 
As my body glided past the window (not because I was so excited but because I was physically carried by the moving walkway) against the backdrop of London clouds, what I was doing made since.  This was at least a four year dream that was actualizing with every inch i moved.  What you don't know is that I have sat in my room at this same spot for maybe an hour trying to deliver words that will capture the moment and they are just not here yet.  So I will concede this point.  I cried.  I tried with an honest effort not too but I did.  My hope is that my 2 inch glasses obscured the tears, but maybe they magnified it.  
It took me two hours to get my baggage, customs can do that.  A quick side not is if you are going to the U.K. to study you do not need a visa, do something better with your $200.  Okay one more detour, I am rooting for the U.K. to have a recession because my $200 evaporated into 94 pounds.  So if you believe in prayer go ahead and insert that into a prayer now an then. 
The bus ride from London to Oxford was great, for the most part.  The windows are large and clear so I can get a full view of the lovely landscapes.  The downside is that it smelt like a recently new shoe that had been worn by a slightly smelly but sweaty foot.  I will leave you hear because a bunch of us are going to go explore and maybe visit the Eagle and Child (Where C.S. Lewis used to hang out).  

No comments: