Saturday, September 20, 2008

Amsterdam


Red Light Means Stop?
 So I have waited to write, okay I just haven't written, but part of that is I am still trying to digest Amsterdam.  This time last week I was walking down the streets of Amsterdam trying to find somewhere to eat.  Now I sit in front of my computer to tell you about it.  
For those of you who are not familiar, Amsterdam is... shall we say rather open.  They have legalized prostitution which we have in certain states, they have legalized marijuana which we have done in certain states but for medical purposes, and they legalized hallucinugic mushrooms, we have not gone that far.  What is interesting is that it is normal there.  
The "Red Light District," is the street that all the prostitutes carry out their home businesses.  They rent windows for a rate and then stand in them and try to shake their hips to get passerby's to bite.  A new fiend, Dorian and I went and secured the only available Hostel (more on that later).  Which was situated right in the heart of Amsterdam, which is a euphmism we learned for Red Light District.  
Marijuana is sold at "coffee shops."  So if you are Amsterdam I suggest not meeting for a nice conversation over a cup of coffee.  The interesting thing is that smoking in public places is not legal, so what are the "coffee shops" to do.  Well they are safe you see because marijuana is a drug and that is still legal.  The other conundrum is that it is legal to buy "magic mushrooms," just as long as they are fresh because then they are considered "produce." As soon as they are dried they are an illegal substance.  The point being is that they do things very different there.  Enough about all that.  
   

Canals and Van Gogh

Amsterdam outside of the Red Light District is a very attractive city.  The city is built around canals.  And who doesn't appreciate walking next to a calm canal.  
For me I think the highlight was visiting the Van Gogh Museum.  It is an incredible look into the life of a painter and how his work evolved.  Things I learned:
  • He was not always crazy
  • His brother was very dear to him
  • Painting was not his first occupation and only came to painting late into his life
  • He never trained or went to school to become an artist
  • Literature sometimes spoke more to him than the Bible.
One thing I learned, that I am now committed to.  Traveling in Europe is great, but just jumping on a plane (while spontaneous and good fun) and just arriving can sometimes be more than you recconed for.  Also I think your experience is so much more when you can stay with someone which leads me to the Hostel. 

Apocalypse Now!

This title may seem misplaced but it is not.  Let me start by letting you in on the little known fact that I did not enjoy this classic film.  So you think once I arrived at the front door of my hostel I was less than enthusiastic about my "Apocalypse Now" theme room.  The room was painted completely in red and black.  There is nothing like waking up to the "bomb scene" wallpapered on an entire wall across from you.  The bathroom was aptly painted all black and was lit by a 2 inch light over the sink.  So you can imagine the effort it was to wash yourself in the dark.  The thing that probably made it okay was our water fountain in the corner of the bathroom, which some might mistake for a toilet but those have handles and sound nothing like a water fountain.  

The upside was that our beds where made for us every morning and breakfast prepared down in the lobby.  However on the second day we discovered that the guy was very efficient in cleaning because the sheets were never taken off nor washed the whole time we were there.  I felt bad for those beds next to me who had different people in them each night, but the same sheets.  Who knows maybe mine were a month old.  With no expiration date there is just no way to tell.  Breakfast could not have been finer, cheese and salami, red bell pepper, hard boiled egg, and congealed honey.  And right about now I know you are wondering how such elegant amenities and superb service cost one?  Well if you come into town when all of Las Vegas' business men have come to Amsterdam it is about 120 euros or roughly about $180 per person.   Now please I ask that you not all jump on a plane and book a stay at "The Heart of Amsterdam Hotel,"  because you may not all be so lucky to stay in the "Apocalypse Now" "suite." 

Here are some pictures to suit your fancy, although I did not think to truly document my hostel experience, but the rest of Amsterdam is all yours (via pictures). 

Also a video of biking in Amsterdam


2 comments:

Brandon Friggione said...

so stoked for you dude! keep experiencing it man...

Karen said...

Hey Dallas,
Sounds like quite a trip! The prices really are a stretch. Wish I could tell you the prospects for the dollar are looking good. Hope you're staying tuned and registered to vote.
Continue to enjoy!
Best, Karen