Friday, September 5, 2008

My adventure to Oxford really began in New York.  I had originally booked my ticket in hopes to see a good friend, Josh Cave.  I missed seeing Jcave (who is not in NY yet, but on his way to greatness), but met a stranger who may or may not have taught me something.  
So I determined that JFK had to be close to the city, but the day before I looked up directions for walking on google and realized the distance was too far to walk.  On the China town bus I decided I needed to ask someone for help.  I usually try and was tempted to find it on my own.  But I asked for help.  This guy who I had never met guided me through the streets of NYC to a subway, helped carry my luggage down and up flights of stairs, help me purchase the right metro ticket, find a way to get my luggage into the subway, and rode on the J-train with me so that he could put me on the A-train himself.
The thing that surprised me was that never did I sense a hint of "what is in it for me." When he ushered me into the A-train I thought he was coming with me and I could offer him some money out of thanks or my address so I could return his favor.  But, he just placed me on the train with a smile and waved goodbye.  I do not think he ever wanted anything in return.  
As I struggle and work through my thoughts about Jesus I am sometimes impressed by the way I am encouraged toward him by people who speak nothing of Jesus.  
Another thing, I hesitate to write this because I have not decided how open I want to be on "the web," I really wanted someone from my house (Ivanwold)  to come with me because I really did need help to find my way in New York.  I was overwhelmed to be on my own.  It was on my mind the whole way to Oxford how a complete stranger could give of themselves and how I did not feel like I was on my own. 

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hey Dallas,
So you didn't need a fellow traveller! There's a real beauty to traveling on your own...and an opportunity to discover friends where you least expect them. NYC has some real gems, despite its reputation, and I'm glad you found one. Happy continuing journey.
All the best, Karen