Saturday, April 3, 2010

The first two hours in BA

I touched down in Argentina a few days ago. It is starting to feel like home. I am surprised at how easily I come to gain the feeling of home in rather new and strange places.

Gaston and his friend picked me up at the airport. We drove to his town (Olivos) in a Fiat. We talked of Obama's health care plan, favorite birth days, and dating anywhere from 5-10 years before getting married.

Olivos is a 20-30 min bus ride from the city of B.A. I am staying in his sisters room for the time being. The fuchsia pink covered wall does not threaten me. Here the houses are much smaller. I like that it is possible to live in less space, comfortably, than we seem to claim we need in the U.S.

We did not stay at his house long, but just long enough to get a shower, and then take the 152 bus to his friends Martin's birthday.

The buses here are fairly cheep, only about 75 cents, and have a disco flare. The black lights glowed from the inside and made my white shoe laces illuminate. We got off and walked a little. Walking with Gaston is one of my favorite things. It is slow, thoughtful, and used to learn about whoever he is with.

No comments: