Monday, October 13, 2008

I Was Sworn In

     
The libraries at Oxford are serious about their books.  I knew they were important, but experiential learning has taught how serious.  Last week I was sworn into the Bodleian library.  They ushered us into a wooden clad room, which during the 17th C. while in civil war, Parliament used this room to meet.  I sat against the historic benches and listened to the history of the library (a quick Wiki), and the rules which deserve their own sentence.  So there is no drinks, no food, no smoking, no taking out books, and absolutely no fire.  I guess it is a rule that has been in place since before there was electricity, but even then no candles.  
I was so excited about the whole thing.  We had to go up two at a time and get sworn in.  I read the Bodleian Oath, raised my right hand (which was not necessary but I felt it sealed the deal), and then received my Bodleian card, which gives me access to the largest library in England. Pretty great stuff.
The inspiration came from my first visit to the Library.  I had to order three books from the stacks.  The "stacks"  is huge area with many floors built under the ground of the Bodleian.  When you order a book it is pulled by someone in the stacks and then placed on a conveyer that runs underground to the study room that you request.  
Every student should have a library to study at like the Bodleian.  Just the architecture requires a reverence for books and study.  I know that I learned more than I would in my room, just because of the environment.  Chills literally ran down my body as I sat there studying, I was were I have dreamt about for so long.  It is everything I have hoped it would.  

The picture at the top left is of the outside of the Bodleian Radcliff and Old Library, the picture at top right is of the room we were sworn into, and the bottom is of me getting sworn in and then with my official Bodleian card.
                                                                  

1 comment:

Brandon Friggione said...

you're a studly scholar my man! miss you!!